Web Design Group
This Group meets at 2:00pm - 3rd Saturday each month
Sydney Mechanics' School of Arts, 280 Pitt Street. Visitors are welcome
To check out the Group's activitys and reports ► ► ► "SPCTUG Web Design Group" ◄ ◄ ◄
Adobe's Brackets Web Editor has much to offer
The Brackets editor has everything you need for working with files and directories along with creating new files. The code completion - parsing and hints - features allows you to quickly assemble applications without knowing exact syntax. An ever growing selection of useful extensions are included, any of which can be easily activated using the Extension Manager. Also, the helpful online documentation plus features like Quick Edit is what has made Brackets so popular. » More info and download Brackets here.
IN with "flexboxes, rows & wraps" - OUT with "floats & clears"
This web-site has now adopted the newer
approach to responsive web design by using the more manipulative
CSS3 "flexbox" styling method. Flexbox styling is now supported by
all modern web browsers so that pages now display the way designers
intended, irrespective of browser type or screen size.
See Adam Khoury's excellent 10:00 minute video tutorial to discover more about CSS3 Flexbox Essentials and Flexible Box Layouts.
Choosing the right CSS Units
What is the difference between ems and rems? When should I use pixels or percentages? How does vmin and vh work? How long is a piece of string?
excellent video demonstrates how each of the measurement units
used in styling web pages can affect each page's layout and
behavour. If you have found that certain elements of your design do
not render as expected, this video will almost certainly help in
highlighting the problems.
The Sydney PC & Technology User Site Incorporates - Responsive Web Design
Responsive Web Design is about creating webpages that look great when viewed on any device and screen size. Whether viewed on a TV, desktop, tablet or smartphone, web pages should provide an enjoyable, user friendly experience for everyone. This can be acheived by adding "media queries" to the responsive site's CSS style sheet. Media queries then automatically adjust and re-arrange the content of a website to suit the screen width of the viewing device being used.
To illustrate how Sydney PC User Group HOME page layout and content is automatically re-sized and repositioned in response to various screen sizes, this full width column, plus two columns, three columns and four columns are used. To see it in action, open this responsive page using any of the latest desktop browsers, then grab the edge of the browser window and slowly drag it narrower or wider. You will see the layout automatically adjust itself to fit the new width of the browser, even if you make the page as narrow as a mobile phone. Media queries may also be set to add or remove any page element and do lots more to create a better viewing experience.
Total Validator is an (X)HTML
validator, an accessibility validator, a spell checker, and a
broken links checker all rolled into one tool allowing
one-click validation of your web pages.
Since its release Total Validator has become extremely popular with Web developers around the world. Each year millions of validations are performed using the desktop tools, of which over a quarter of a million copies have been downloaded. This excellent validator provides numerous options and quickly displays its results using your favourite browser.
Total Validator provides the following basic features:
- The best HTML5 validation against the W3C Markup Standards
- Accessibility validation against the WCAG (1.0 and 2.0) and the US Section 508 standards
- Check for broken links
- Spell check English, French, Italian, Spanish, and German
- One-click, and DOM-based validation using our Browser extensions
- Validate local pages, and pages on intranets or other private sites
- Versions available for Windows, OS X, and Linux
Download Total Validator and validate your web pages today.
Webcity provides hosting and domain registration for our club's website.
Check the club's server phpinfo file here.
Check out these Member's Websites
- ABC Play School:- Where web designers can test new ideas
- Zen Garden:- Access to the "Best of the Best" Creative Web Design Site
- Bob Backstrom:- Web Design | Electronics | Maths-Science
- Tony Colocci:- Electronics | Web Design
- Les Grant:- Electronics
- Neville Hoffman:- Electronics
- John L:- Investment | Stock Market Resources
- John Lucke:- Response Web Design
- Fred Scott:- Family History
- Steve South:- Land History
- Steve South:- Woodys World
- Steve South:-Photo Gallery
- The site link above is a free site hosted by Mozello
- John Symonds:- Digital Photography | ANZAC Bridge
- Alex Zaharov-Reutt:- Computer Guru | Technology News